I got a short visit with my male informant to take a look at his room a few weeks ago. He's a really quiet guy and I've tried asking a million questions to pull answers out of him and I've tried sitting back and letting him come to me but neither has worked well to my advantage. Fortunately the tour of his room gave me a little bit of information on him that may have been easy for most to share but because Anthony is so shy, he doesn't share as easily.
He shares a small room with his older brother who is not living at home right now so Anthony told me he has taken over the room a bit, mostly with dirty clothes all over the floor. He said he like it messy because it was his own space and he could control the appearance of his room, plus his brother didn't mind it messy either when he came home.
When we first walked into the room, he simply stated, "so this is my room, a little messy but I'm too busy to clean it". He then showed me the numbers that he has pinned to his wall from the cross country races he's done well in. He knew which course each belonged to and how well he had done.
Although there were two other posters and a banner on the same wall above the numbers, he just kind of pointed towards them and went on to his closet. He briefly showed me his closet and extensive amount of clothes (all of which are his, none are his brothers). He likes regular old t-shirts and jeans but if he is going to look nice he's willing to spend the money on the clothes that he likes to wear (Tommy Hilfiger mostly).
After he was done with his own tour, I was intrigued by the blue shield type banner that hung above the numbers he had went into such detail describing. I inquired and he humbly and somewhat embarassingly told me that it was Boy Scout Merit Shield with patches and pins he had earned. I was also interested in the poster to the left of the Merit Shield which was of a man with a shirt that said "STOP PRE". Being from a running family myself, I recognized the guy in the poster and asked Tony if it was Steve Prefontaine. He went on to tell me all about Prefontaine, most of which I already knew, but it was a breakthrough I had been looking for so I let him talk.
I wasn't sure if his bedroom was where he spent most of his time so I asked. Tony mentioned that he did spend a lot of time in his room, doing homework, on the computer, but that he didn't have his own TV so he spent a lot of time in his family room too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's why a grand tour could help--just show you his stuff.
Sounds good to me Audrey..the trick now is to write it up
Post a Comment